MovieDea is an adware program which will present itself as a reliable tool. It has a simple, seemingly helpful functionality. The tool is offered to movie enthusiasts for looking up information on their favorite films and series, as well as finding other suitable movies according to their taste. However, MovieDea will conduct other, undesired activities along with its main task. The adware will show you commercial advertisements for various items. You will be overwhelmed by an influx of pop-up and pop-under windows, banners, coupons, interstitial ads, and others. There will be numerous offers which are supposed to help you save money. However, none of them are guaranteed to be reliable. Since MovieDea has nothing to do with online shopping, it makes sense that the program is not a representative of any online shopping platform. The tool simply forwards to various websites. Its developers get paid for each time they lead a user to a sponsored site. The problem is that you cannot know whether the page you are lead to is legitimate. You may be taken to a malicious domain, spreading malware. MovieDea is also known to track the user's activity on the web. It may collect information from your personal online accounts. The input it gathers is sold to third parties for financial gains.
How did MovieDea gain access to my system?
The program has a website which promotes its services. Its URL address is moviedea.com. There is a green download button which should allow you to acquire the tool for free. If you click on it, however, you will see that it is not active. MovieDea is spread through unofficial sources. To be precise, the program travels with other software. The programs, used to distribute such adware tools, are referred to as download clients. People often install free programs chaotically, believing that it is clever to use a free tool for the services they need. This is never a good idea. You should always check the reputation of a program you are intending to use and the source site you have downloaded it from. MovieDea needs your permission to be installed to your PC, but it is masterful at getting it. The software will be offered as an optional tool together with the program you have decided to install to your computer. It will be checked as approved for installation, so if you do not find where it is mentioned in the terms and conditions, it will be given access to your PC.
What risks does MovieDea pose to my security?
First off, this program puts your system in danger of getting infected with some kind of malware. There is no telling what is hidden behind the ads MovieDea shows you. Some of them may be legitimate, others may lead to more adware getting installed, and some may let in a serious infection. All of the content is customized by the program and the advertisements look pretty much alike. Their sources are not shown, so you have no idea where you will be taken to by following them. MovieDea will put its name on the pop-up windows, so you will be able to tell that it is behind the aggressive marketing campaign, targeted at you. While this activity will be made obvious, the tool will not inform you of the other task it carries out. MovieDea spies on your browsing sessions through a background process. The tool records your online sessions and sells the data it has gathered to third parties without asking you. The information MovieDea gets from your browser may include personally identifiable data and financial account details, if you use such online platforms. To protect both your system and your privacy, you need to uninstall MovieDea.
How can I remove MovieDea from my system?
Uninstalling MovieDea is not very difficult. You can do it by hand. If you need help with the process, you will find a complete removal guide following this paragraph. To make sure your system is relieved of all potential danger, you can also do a scan with an antivirus program.
Remove MovieDea from your browser
Remove MovieDea extension from Mozilla Firefox
Step 1: Remove MovieDea hijacker from the browser
1. Open Firefox and go to the Menu button located in the upper right corner or press Ctrl+Shift+A
2. Navigate to the Add-ons Manager tab and choose Extensions (or Appearance).
3. Locate MovieDea and press Disable to remove it.
Step 2: Change your default homepage
1. Click on the Menu button in the upper right of your browser screen and go to Options.
2. Select the General tab.
3. Pick your homepage and type in the address. You can use the Restore option and revert back to the original Default homepage.
4. Click OK to exit.
5. Right-click on the Firefox icon located on your Desktop and go to Properties.
6. Check to make sure the Target of the shortcut is correct.
Step 3: Change the default search provider
1. Click on the Menu button in the upper right of your browser and choose Options.
2. Open the Search tab.
3. From the drop-down menu, you can select your default search provider.
4. Click OK to exit and save your changes.
Remove MovieDea from Google Chrome
Step 1: Remove MovieDea extension from Chrome
1. Launch Chrome and click on the Chrome menu in the upper right corner of the browser.
2. Select More Tools and go to Extensions.
3. Once you find the unwanted add-on, click on the recycle bin icon next to it to remove it.
4. A confirmation window will appear, press Remove to complete the removal.
Step 2: Reset your homepage
1. Go to the Chrome menu and select Settings.
2. Navigate to Appearance → Show Home button → New Tab page → Change
3. Select a new homepage and enter the address.
4. Click OK to confirm.
5. Click on the Desktop Chrome shortcut with the right mouse button and select Properties.
6. Check if the Target of the shortcut is written right.
Step 3: Change your default search provider
1. Launch Chrome and open Settings from the Chrome menu.
2. Go to Search.
3. When you see a drop-down menu, select a default search engine or click on Manage Search engines.
4. Select your search provider and click “Make default”.
5. Press Done to complete this process.
Remove MovieDea from Internet Explorer
Step 1: Remove MovieDea add-on
1. Go to the Wrench icon in the upper right of your browser and open the Tools menu (shortcut: Alt+X).
2. Select Manage add-ons and go to Toolbars and Extensions.
3. Choose and click on the extensions you wish to remove.
4. Click Remove and then Close.
Step 2: Change your homepage
1. Click on the Wrench icon in the right browser corner and open the Tools menu (or click Alt+X).
2. Select Internet Options.
3. Fill in your new homepage address into the blank panel.
4. Click OK.
5. Right-click on the Desktop Internet Explorer shortcut and navigate to Properties.
6. Check if the Target of the shortcut is written correctly.
Step 3: Change your default search provider
1. Click on the arrow in the address bar.
2. Choose Add.
3. Click on the engine of your choice to select it and press “Add to IE”.
4. Press Alt+X to open the Tools menu.
5. Select Manage add-ons and navigate to Search Providers.
6. Choose an engine to set as your default provider and click “Set as default”.
Remove MovieDea from your computer
1. Simultaneously press Win+X and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Choose Uninstall a Program and select the unwanted application from the list.
3. Press Uninstall to delete MovieDea.
1. Go to the Windows Start menu and navigate to your Control Panel.
2. Select Uninstall a Program and remove MovieDea from the list.
1. Open the Windows Start menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Select Add or Remove Programs.
3. Find MovieDea in the list and remove it.
How is an AV tool useful in keeping my system secure?
When dealing with adware, you should know that these programs tend to attract each other and help one another in penetrating a user's machine. If MovieDea has entered your system, it may have let in other dubious tools unbeknownst to you. Having a professional scanner working all the time is a good measure to prevent clandestine software from entering your system. The scanner can detect their malicious code and deny them entry.