4Shared is an adware program, associated to a file sharing site. The program is not marketed on the website, though. The 4Shared.com platform is developed for file sharing purposes. Nothing is mentioned about a program, associated to this platform. However, there is such an application which distributes advertising content. You will see ads, flagged with 4Shared's name, indicating its existence. They will offer you various shopping discounts and bargain deals which you may find tempting. The problem is that none of them are guaranteed to be legitimate. Adware tools do not take the user's interests into account when carrying out the tasks they are assigned to. The main purpose of such software is monetary gains. You risk your PC's security by following any ad that has been brought by 4Shared. The adware works through the three most popular web browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. It embeds ads on all websites you visit and passes on pop-ups, banners, in-text links, interstitial ads, comparison advertisements, and other similar forms of promotional content. The program can also monitor your behavior on the web and collect information about your browsing habits and your machine.
How did 4Shared make its way into my system?
Visiting its official website, 4Shared.com, will not lead to the adware getting downloaded and installed to your system. The domain itself is not in any way indicative of the purpose behind the program. The 4Shared adware was transferred to your computer through the help of another program. Like many adware tools, it can be bundled with other software and request your approval to be installed together with it. People often download freeware or pirated versions of programs to spare themselves the expense of acquiring licensed software. Many unofficial versions carry additional tools in their installation files. The extra software is briefly mentioned in the user agreement. You can opt out of installing it, but you will not be asked directly whether you want to use it or not. The adware will be listed amid the terms and conditions of the program you are installing. Many people believe that these conditions are a formality. This tendency has allowed programs like 4Shared to find an easy way in.
What is dangerous about 4Shared?
4Shared is a well disguised program. As previously mentioned, the website associated to it is directed at file sharing. It has a professional layout and it is ad-free. The platform is presented as a reliable site which protects copyrighted content and allows you to easily transmit information you have on your computer to your family, friends, or whoever you want to share it with. This service can be used for free or at a premium with included benefits. The 4Shared.com domain is registered to a company by the name of New IT Solutions Ltd. from Nicosia, Cyprus. This firm also has an office in Road Town, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands, as indicated on its contact page. Due to the discrepancy between the website's services and the online marketing activity 4Shared carries out, it is not possible to hold the owners of the website responsible for the program's actions. By following any of the ads, even by accident, you take the risk and the responsibility that goes with it on your own. 4Shared's very presence is a risk alone, since the program is known to monitor the user's online sessions and collect information from the browser and the computer's internal data. Your location, browsing history and the details from it can be tracked down and sold to third parties for financial gains. The sooner you uninstall 4Shared, the less damage it will be able to do to your system.
How can I remove 4Shared from my PC?
4Shared can be uninstalled manually. For complete instructions on how to dispose of it, please follow the guide below. After you are done with the manual removal, you can proceed to do an automatic system scan to make sure there are no other potential threats on your machine.
Remove 4Shared from your browser
Remove 4Shared from Mozilla Firefox
Step 1: Remove 4Shared add-on from your browser
1. Open Firefox and go to the Menu button in the right corner or simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+A
2. From the Add-ons Manager tab, select Extensions (or Appearance).
3. Locate 4Shared and click the Disable button.
Step 2: Change your homepage
1. Click on the Menu button on the right and select Options.
2. Go to the General tab.
3. Type in the address of the site you want to set as your homepage. You can also use the Restore option to reset the Default homepage.
4. Press the OK button to exit the window.
5. Right-click the Firefox icon on your Desktop and navigate to Properties.
6. Check to see if the Target of the shortcut is correct.
Step 3: Change the default search provider
1. Click on the Menu button in the upper right side and select Options.
2. Open the Search tab.
3. From the drop-down menu, choose a default search provider.
4. Press the OK button to save the changes and exit this window.
Remove 4Shared from Google Chrome
Step 1: Remove 4Shared add-on
1. Launch Chrome and open the Chrome menu located in the right corner of the browser screen.
2. Go to More Tools and select Extensions.
3. Locate the unwanted add-on and click on the recycle bin icon next to it to remove it.
4. Click Remove when the confirmation window appears to complete the removal.
Step 2: Reset the homepage
1. Open the Chrome menu and go to Settings.
2. In this panel, navigate to Appearance → Show Home button → New Tab page → Change
3. Choose your homepage.
4. Click OK to confirm.
5. Right-click the Chrome Desktop shortcut and go to Properties.
6. Check whether the Target of the shortcut is written correctly.
Step 3: Change your default search provider
1. Launch Chrome and choose Settings from the Chrome menu.
2. Go to the Search panel from this menu.
3. Select a default search engine from the drop-down menu or go to Manage Search engines.
4. Select the search provider you have chosen and click on “Make default”.
5. Press Done to complete the procedure.
Remove 4Shared from Internet Explorer
Step 1: Remove 4Shared extension
1. Go to the Wrench icon in the upper right of your browser and open the Tools menu (or click Alt+X).
2. Go to Manage add-ons and navigate to Toolbars and Extensions.
3. Choose the extensions you want to delete.
4. Press Remove and click Close.
Step 2: Change your homepage
1. Go to the Wrench icon in the upper right and open the Tools menu (or use the shortcut Alt+X).
2. Select Internet Options.
3. Type the address of the website you have chosen as your homepage going forward.
4. Click OK.
5. Right-click the Internet Explorer shortcut icon on the Desktop and navigate to Properties.
6. Check if the Target of the shortcut is correct.
Step 3: Change the default search provider
1. Click on the arrow icon in the address bar.
2. Choose Add.
3. Choose an engine from the list displayed by clicking on it and selecting the “Add to IE” option.
4. Press Alt+X to go to the Tools menu.
5. Go to the Manage add-ons option and navigate to Search Providers.
6. Choose the engine you want to set as the default provider and click “Set as default”.
Remove 4Shared from your computer
1. Click Win+X simultaneously and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Navigate to Uninstall a Program and choose the unwanted software from the list.
3. Press Uninstall to remove 4Shared.
1. Open the Windows Start menu and go to your Control Panel.
2. Select Uninstall a Program and remove 4Shared from the list.
1. Open the Windows Start menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Choose Add or Remove Programs.
3. Find 4Shared in the list and remove it.
Why should I use an AV program?
An antivirus program can help you check if there are other dubious software applications on your PC besides 4Shared. The program may have been able to let in other tools through its activity, or it could not have come alone in the first place.